Having a baby really
makes you contemplate on what's best for your child. Deciding whether to
breastfeed or formula feed is a huge decision to make. I already knew during my
pregnancy that breastfeeding was the way to go. After my breast feeding class,
I was so ready to tackle on this awesome bonding experience with my daughter.
However, it wasn't as easy as my lactation nurse made it seem. My daughter was
born smaller than most due to a rare condition (read my Expect the unexpected
article to know more). Due to this, while at the hospital, they strongly
recommended that I breastfeed along with supplement with formula since my
colostrum would probably not be enough for such a small infant in need of extra
calories. This broke my heart to feed her formula because of all the additives
and junk the FDA has allowed in them. I made it my duty to give my daughter the
best nutrition ever! I opted for breastfeeding but due to some minor
complications with latching on and soreness, I needed another way out. So instead
of feeding formula through the bottle, I started pumping and giving my baby
breast milk through a bottle. Now, whenever my daughter is at the breast, she
gives up after 5 minutes because my "let down" is a little to slow
for her unlike a bottle. So, I've been making her life easier and opted
to become an EXCLUSIVE PUMPING MOM.
In
spite of pumping around the clock, my daughter really seems to love how much
easier it is for her to suck from a bottle. In my opinion, as long as she's
getting the best milk, it really doesn't matter how it's given. I know I will
get some slack about it since all the breast feeding moms out there will just
ridicule and tell me to just nurse. I think nursing is cool and all but after
the repeated gnawing on my sensitive breast, I became to not like it as much as
bottle feeding. I know most moms breast feed and supplement when they are away
from baby by pumping... an exclusive pumping mom does the exact opposite. I
pump around the clock, at least for the first few months until my milk has
pretty much been established. And I can supplement by breastfeeding like at
night or whenever a bottle isn't ready to go. Most would think that this would
confuse a child, but when I decided to exclusively pump and supplement at the
breast, I researched the easiest way to switch back and forth and found these
awesome bottle nipples that mimic human nipples making it easier to switch. I
bought those nipples and my daughter seems to love them! Its like the best of
both worlds to her.
I
say all this to say, don't let people discourage you. YOU do what's best for
you and your baby. And remember, just because you're not pregnant anymore,
doesn't mean you can eat whatever. I learned that the hard way. Talk about
crazy screaming nights of gas pains! I'm glad we are getting out of that era.
My daughter's pediatrician gave me this revelation. She told me she knows I'm
probably trying to drop those pounds but my baby is obviously showing signs
that her sensitive stomach can't handle all the green leafy vegetables in my
salad and all the gassy foods like broccoli and beans. So I deleted those
things out of my diet and my baby's gas has gotten better.
My Routine:
After researching on how to
exclusively pump, I could not find any actual routine. So for all the moms that
would like to exclusively pump, here’s mine! In my research I learned
that in the first few months postpartum, it is important to establish a good
milk supply. To do this, you should be pumping every 2 hours and pumping at
least 8 times a day. After the first few months, you have trained your body to
produce a good amount of milk and pumping this much wont be necessary.
First, make sure you have a good
pump! I have a Medela pump in style advance which is an electric double pump.
This makes pumping so much easier and quicker since you can pump both sides at
the same time! I think it retails at $54-$60. I got mine for free from my
insurance company. Make sure to ask your insurance company and request this
pump.
Second, create a schedule. I pump
every 3 hours for 20-30 minutes a session. I have a good flow so I can get
about 3-4 oz each breast. When I skip a session, I can get up to 8 oz! Yes, I have a very good supply!
Third, make sure to store. A benefit
of pumping this much is that you can establish a good supply for storage. I was
overwhelmed at first because I would pump enough to just fill a bottle to feed
my baby. If I did not pump, she could not eat. When I established a routine, things got so much easier. I
now have so much milk, I started storing in the deep freezer! (Pumping increases milk supply)
And that’s basically it. It’s hard.
It takes a lot of work and dedication. And you will need tons of support from
your significant other and family members to help out during your pumping
sessions so you have someone to tend to your baby while you pump. If you don’t
have someone all the time, do what I do, invest in a nursing bra that will hold
your pumps to your breast leaving your hands free and prop your baby up next to
you in a boppy pillow or baby swing or seat. As long as you pump for at least
15 minutes or even hand express, you’re good. Just make sure to get in a few
good pumping sessions a day. You can do this!


No comments:
Post a Comment