Friday, March 28, 2014

Controversy of Waterbirth


Choosing a midwife can be a difficult decision to most, but for me, I just had to have one for my own reasons that I’ve researched over the course of the last couple of years. And the big thing that comes with the option of choosing a midwife is the many different positions and ways to labor. One of which is a water birth! Water births have become so popular they even have been added into some hospitals!
OB’s are now saying that water immersion has no actual benefit past the first stage of labor and that the safety and efficacy during the second stage of labor hasn’t yet been established. I’ve read, which is very understandable, that this has caused an up roar to the midwife community. Not to mention, to people that are pro-midwives as well. Like me!
Reading further to find out what OB’s are saying, I researched their views. Their biggest argument is INFECTION! It’s easier for mom to transfer an infection to her newborn child when delivering in the tub. This could be true if the woman in the tub had an infection such as an STD already which would not make sense to have a water birth. They also say that the baby will have lack of oxygen while being underwater.
My response: Babies are living in the womb in a body of fluid for nine months. A few seconds transferring from that to warm water couldn’t hurt in my eyes. If it was so unsafe, the midwives wouldn’t be offering it. The thing is, many people try to bash midwives expertise as if they didn’t spend a lot of their time in school learning specifically labor and delivery. Give them some slack and respect.
Water birthing has many benefits! The most important to me is that it helps to soothe the mom of common back pain and contractions. It helps to relax the mom during this stressful environment, not only in her mind but her muscles as well. It may reduce vaginal tearing and it improves blood flow.
How can these benefits just stop after the first stage of labor? If you are a healthy adult free of complications in your pregnancy then it is safe for the woman and the baby. Since not enough research even supports the OB’s findings, I think they are just trying to win back their patients since a lot of women are choosing midwives.
My OB/GYN office gave me a hard time when I told them after my first appointment that I wanted to transfer to a midwife and deliver at her birthing center. The techs tried a scare tactic about how painful it will be and that I should really rethink giving birth at the hospital so I can be drugged up. Even one of the PA’s was telling me to seriously rethink my options. It sounded desperate to me.
Anyway, my decision still stood and I transferred to my midwife and opting to have a water birth!
What do you think about all this? Comment below and share! I’d love to hear from you.




XoXo
Rebecca


No comments:

Post a Comment

Moto

Moto