Friday, July 4, 2014

6 Week Postpartum Update!


Today, I am 6 week postpartum! You'd think I'd be jumping up and down celebrating at this point but come to find out after my check up today, I still have yet to completely heal. During delivery, I did happen to tear (I had a vaginal delivery). It seems as though one of my stitches had popped and I am feeling the pain from a small opening. My midwife says it looks like it is healing, but very slowly now. 

Six weeks is such a long time to just be sitting around and letting everyone do things for you. I'm a busy body and always feel the need to keep moving. If you're anything like that, I warn you now, DON'T DO IT. It will make your healing that much slower. Believe me, I can attest to that. On a better note, my baby is doing just great. She had a 3 pound increase since birth! I'm so proud of her. There is no denying that she's getting well fed. 


Postpartum Symptoms/Feelings this week:


Overwhelmed: Still adjusting with the new changes that bringing a baby into this world does. It truly has changed the lives of my husband and I. 


Fatigue: You feel this all during pregnancy, and still feel it postpartum. You start to ponder, "when will I ever get good sleep again?"


Sore nipples: Yes! This is what pumping around the clock and breastfeeding does to you. I have been reintroducing my baby back on my breast little by little. All I can say is, my nipples are 95% always hard, protruding, and sore. When they brush against my bra or shirt, it can sure enough be uncomfortable. After a couple of suggestions from my lactation nurse, I bought some nipple shells to wear to avoid this. And I also bought some soothing gel pads that stick on to your nipples. It gives off a cooling effect that really feels good. 


Bystander Advice: You think, just because you're not pregnant anymore, that no one will say those random not so nice things to you. HA! It still happens. From how much weight you haven't lost yet to how you should raise your child. The ridicule, bad jokes, and mean comments have just begun!


Emotional Roller coaster: From being so happy you have a newborn to getting down right frustrated when you try all you can to stop them from crying. This can get so exhausting and cause numerous amounts of emotions. Believe me, I go from happy, to blah, to frustrated and upset, to sad, and back to happy again. Phew! I cant keep up. Can I still blame those hormones? 


Cravings/ Appetite increase: Yep, still have them. Sucks, doesn't it? And I always am hungry and thirsty. It has much to do with breastfeeding. It will drain you and cause you to become dizzy and lightheaded if you don't eat and keep well hydrated.

Menstraul Cycle: Welcome back Aunt Flow. Long time no see. :-/

I feel like I'm on cloud 9 when I see and hold my little one. Words can't express the love a mother has for her child. Hopefully I start to feel more like me shortly. I'm getting there little by little but I'm not 100% yet. In the meantime, I will enjoy my little peanut and hopefully she will distract me during this time of recovery!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Moto

Moto