Thursday, April 27, 2017

Blueberries, Oh my!

It's that lovely time of year where the birds are chirping, the weather starts to get toasty, and plant life starts blooming. The best plants are those that give us yummy fruit! One of my daughters favorite fruit are blueberries!!!! That's right, it's blueberry season! Those blueberry bushes are blooming and ready to be picked and eaten!

Yesterday, I took my babies out to meet up with some friends at our local blueberry farm; it's literally down the street from my house! And we grabbed our buckets and hit the rows of bushes to try to spot and find a good spot to start picking. I told my daughter to try and find all the blue, we don't want any green! It's a nice lesson on learning colors for preschoolers! She kept grabbing green but eventually caught on. After many berries ended up in her and her friends belly, we managed to get about 2 pounds in the bucket. And that was good enough for me!




After our long afternoon in the sun picking and playing, we decided to have some downtown at home. Of course by dinner time, Juli wanted more berries so I succumbed to her cuteness and made her blueberry pancakes. Breakfast for dinner is the best!


This morning, we had plenty left over for her to eat for breakfast too. For my little guy, I made some blueberry purée for him so he can join in on the blueberry goodness! And as for me, since I'm eating Paleo, I made myself a batch of Paleo blueberry pancakes. And it was scrumptious! Here's the recipe below for all you Paleo eaters!



Ingredients
  •  1/4 cup coconut flour
  •  1/8 t baking soda
  •  Pinch of salt
  •  1/3 - 1/4 cup coconut milk
  •  2 tbsp organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
  •  3 eggs
  •  1-2 T honey
  •  1/2 t vanilla extract
  •  Maple syrup to taste
  •  Grass-fed butter for cooking (I used ghee)
Instructions
  •  Thoroughly mix the eggs, coconut oil, and honey together.
  •  Add the coconut milk and vanilla extract.
  •  Throw in the coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix, but remember, not too much!
  •  Melt a dab of butter in your skillet and then using a measuring cup, add a little batter to the pan. I recommend figuring out how many pancakes you’d like to make beforehand so that you can use an appropriately sized cup or ladle.

And for our yummy treats for later on in the day after our afternoon activities, we baked Paleo blueberry muffins! Yum! 


You can never have too much blueberries in our world! Hey, it's only two months out the year so you light as well take advantage! You'll never have sweeter and tastier blueberries than this throughout the year! And when you're a homemaker, finding cheaper produce and cooking/baking becomes a hobby!

Do you love blueberries like us? What did you make with yours? Share with me below!


Happy tasting! 🍽👅

No comments:

Post a Comment

Moto

Moto